Lents is a haven for outdoor and recreational activities. Our acres of parks, natural areas and open spaces provide a great opportunity for Portlanders to escape in any season.
Lents Park – The 38-acre gem of the community, located near 92nd Avenue and Holgate Boulevard. Features fields, a dog park, gardens, a playground, walking paths and open spaces. Lents Park is named after Oliver Perry Lent, a stonemason who came to Oregon in the 1850s to farm a 190-acre land claim. The area became the center of a growing farm community. George P. Lent, the eldest son of Oliver Lent, platted the town of Lents in 1892. In 1912, the Lents community was annexed from Multnomah County and incorporated into the City of Portland.
Bloomington Park – A 13-acre park at 101st Avenue and Steele Street. Features fields, a restroom, picnic tables and open spaces.
Ed Benedict Park – A 13-acre park at Powell Boulevard and 100th Avenue. Features basketball courts, a skate park, fields, a playground, public art and walking paths. The park was named in commemoration of Ed Benedict, a statesman and community activist who was instrumental in getting the park built. In addition to his work as a nurseryman and landscape contractor, he served three terms in the Oregon Legislature, and was a member of many community organizations, including Urban League of Portland, NAACP, and the East County Coordinating Committee.
When the proposed Mt Hood Freeway was cancelled, Benedict worked hard to ensure that the land that had been purchased as an easement for the freeway be developed as a neighborhood park. In 1988 the parcel known as Mt Hood Park was deeded to the City of Portland for “eventual use as a recreational park.” Benedict died that year and, in his will, left money to establish a trust fund to develop the park. Ed Benedict Community Park was officially named at a ceremony on July 29, 1991. A granite and basalt sculpture entitled A Contemplative Place by Michihiro Kosuge was installed in 1996 at the west end of the park as a percent-for-art project.
Portland Memory Garden – Located in the southeast corner of Ed Benedict Park, this garden is especially designed for people with Alzheimer’s disease and other memory problems: the site is relatively flat and is away from other park activity and significant traffic noise. The garden was dedicated in May 2002 and is one of eight memory gardens in the U.S., and one of only two built on public land. The garden is a national demonstration garden project, created as part of the 100 Parks, 100 Years centennial celebration of the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA).
Glenwood Park – This 7-acre park at 87th Avenue and Claybourne Street includes baseball field, disabled access play area, disabled access restroom, horseshoe pit, paths – paved, paths – unpaved, picnic tables, playground, and soccer field.
PlayHaven Park – This park, located in the Terrace Trails subdivision, was named PlayHaven after the swim school and day camp that former owners Glen and Joan Wilcox ran on the property for 25 years. The site included an indoor pool, two fields, an archery range, trampoline, tennis courts, and trails. The park is located on what they called the “big field” where children enjoyed games and camp-outs.
Beggars-Tick Wildlife Refuge Part of the Johnson Creek floodplain, this is a recently-established nature preserve and restoration project near the Springwater Corridor at 111th Avenue.
Springwater Corridor This dedicated bikeway connects Lents with Milwaukie, Sellwood and downtown Portland to the west and Powellhurst-Gilbert, Gresham and Boring to the east. A 21-mile long paved path, the Springwater generally follows Johnson Creek and rests on the former tracks of the Portland Traction Company railroad. Bike to natural areas like Oaks Bottom, Tideman Johnson and Powell Butte.
Mount Scott Community Center – Located one mile west of the Lents Town Center, Mt. Scott Community Center started off in the mid-1920s as a wooden bathhouse and outdoor swimming pool. Additions in 1948 and 1953, including a roller rink, transformed the facility into a year-round community center. The latest renovation, completed in June 2000, included an indoor aquatic center.
Leach Botanical Garden – Two miles east of the Lents Town Center. The mission of Leach Botanical Garden is to maintain and enhance living collections of plants for the purpose of education, research, and conservation and to preserve the legacy of the Garden’s founders, John and Lilla Leach. The Garden is committed to providing positive experiences to the diverse community upon which it relies for support.
Zenger Farm – Two miles east of the Lents Town Center, Zenger Farm is a working urban farm that models, promotes and educates about sustainable food systems, environmental stewardship, community development and access to good food for all.